Christmas Traditions In United States
Christmas Traditions In United States is all about the various tradition that are observed on the day in America. This article will guide you about the style of American people and about the Christmas traditions in America that are present for so many years.
There are a lot of common traditions on Christmas day that are very popular worldwide, like decoration tree, food, wreath, Santa Claus, Ornaments etc. Christmas traditions in USA are actually long inherited customs, traditions, and legends from many diverse cultures. We celebrate in the best possible way! We include many of the wonderful Xmas activities, songs, and stories from all over the world.
With the change in time, we have even invented some new traditions. American Christmas characters like Rudolph and Frosty are more popular nowadays than the old Santa himself. We have also created cultural Christmas icons in advertising, like the Coca-Cola Polar Bears.
A huge contrast between the universal and the native Christmas traditions of USA becomes more visible in different regions. Nowadays Christmas traditions varies a lot with the change in region because of the different race and nationality of people who are settled in those:
- In Pennsylvania, the Moravians celebrate Christmas by building a landscape, called a putz under the Christmas tree, while in the same state the Germans get Christmas gifts from Belsnickle (Belznickel).
- In Alaska, a star on a pole goes door to door, followed by Herod’s Men, who try to capture the star. The boys and girls carry lanterns and a large star from door to door. They sing carols….
- In Washington D.C., a huge Christmas tree is lit ceremoniously by the President with the press of a button.
- In Boston, carol singing festivities are popular. The singers carry hand bells in their hands.
- In New Orleans, a huge ox is paraded around the streets decorated with holly and with ribbons tied to its horns.
- In Arizona, the Mexican ritual called Las Posadas is kept up representing the search of Mary and Joseph for a room at the inn. Families visit each other’s houses.
- In Hawaii, the arrival of Christmas Tree Ship and Santa Claus by boat, starts the Christmas celebrations
- In California, Santa Claus sweeps in on a surf board.
- Mostly gifts are exchanged in all over America. Dinner are mostly eaten indoors because of huge snow outside. Homes are decorated with Tree branches, lights, ornaments, mistletoe, and Christmas tree decorated with full lights.
- In Colorado, an huge star is placed on the mountain which can be seen from many kilometers away, while in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, a star is lit-up in early December.
- In Philadelphia, a procession called a mummers parade runs for a whole day with bands, dancers and people in fancy dress.
We wish you and your family a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS…